Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Sometimes it Sucks to be Southern

In the south, I'm not that southern. I listen mostly to alternative rock and electronica, I don't have much of an accent, and except for the southern rock/country band I play bass for, I really don't do anything particularly stereotypical.

Yet, for some reason, people seem to assume that because I come from below the Mason-Dixon line, I'm some kind of inbred hick who sits on his porch plucking his banjo between NASCAR races. When introducing myself to someone, they (seriously) asked if I played steel string guitar. Another person asked me if I rode a horse to school. I probably should've told them to fuck off, but I'm a big fan of the whole "not alienating people you've just met" thing, so instead I just laughed it off.

I don't know what people read these days, but from the way these people talk about it, you'd think that south was entirely made up of rednecks and racists. It's ridiculous.

With that in mind, the southern "us vs them" attitude I've seen a lot around my hometown probably isn't helping the case. The number of confederate flags one sees driving down your average North Carolina highway probably doesn't help either. For some people, you'd think the Civil War never ended.

I guess my overall point is that while yes, there are some dumbass southerners, people up here need to get their heads out of their asses and realize that in fact, life just really isn't that different down south.

Peace out bitches.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, seriously? I hope I'm not teased for my southern-ness while in Massachusetts. But I can see the humor in it, and I'm glad you can, too. I think you should mess with them. Tell them that your hobbies are tractor-driving, shooting at the woods, and brewing sweet tea in your barn.

    ReplyDelete