Monday, June 1, 2009

What the fuck, California?

Sorry for the lack of posting for the past few days.  I've been busy; Thursday was a chorus concert, Friday was my first gig with the new country/southern rock, Saturday I was just chilling out, and Sunday I was at the local theme/water park.  Fun shit.

Anyway, my belated blog post is pretty behind the times, but there's some shit that I feel needs to be said.  I'm guessing that anyone who knows anything already knows what I'm pissed about, but for those of you not in the know, this should fill you in.  Now, I'm sure you've all heard the pro-gay schtick about how it's all about equal rights and blah, blah, blah.  We all know that it's an issue of human rights.  Honestly, the decision doesn't surprise me; the Supreme Court did their job here: constitutionally, the amendment was legitimate.  The job of the courts is to analyze the constitutionality of laws, not the morality of them.  Would I have liked it if they had overturned it?  Yes, very much so.  However, I realize that they were simply doing their job here.

One argument that sticks out for me is the idea of "civil unions" as opposed to marriage as a way to appease both sides.  This actually seems like a fairly reasonable solution to me, but I've always been bothered by the idea that homosexuals would have to get "civil unioned" while straight people could still get married.  If it were up to me, I'd say that we separate the process into two parts: religious and legal.  Let anybody "civil union" whoever the hell they want to get the legal benefits of marriage, and let the churches sort out who the hell they want to marry for the religious ceremony.

All of this in mind, I still don't see why people are opposed to it; nobody's forcing you to marry a dude.  It's like I've always said: if you're offended, go fuck yourself.

Peace out bitches.

(Editor's note: I found an interesting article on the subject here.)

1 comment:

  1. I agree about civil union.
    As a fairly liberal Episcopalian, I should be for gay marriage, but in the Good Book (specifically, Leviticus) it says against homosexual marriage. I am all for homosexuality, but I believe this issue should be answered by governmental marriage. There is actually a movement of reform in the Episcopal church calling for the separation of church and state; where a priest could only marry people spiritually, not lawfully.
    Civil Union = great.

    ReplyDelete